Kenny

Kenny

August 8, 2016


I noticed something yesterday as I was packing.  I was packing the workshop and garage.  As I wa packing my third circular saw...don't be judgmental!  There was a redundancy of three computer systems on the Space Shuttle.  If triple redundancy works for NASA, it can work in a hobby workshop.  Well, as I was saying, I was packing my third circular saw and it still seemed as if there was a long way to go in packing.  It was shortly afterwards that I noticed a change in my packing method from the beginning of this adventure.

It all started with my model train room.  I was fastidious in my packing.  Trains and accessories were carefully put back in their original packaging.  You're being judgmental again.  There is nothing wrong with keeping original packaging.  Next came the guns, and yes, original packaging.  The room was quickly emptied.  Next came my office with dozens and dozens of boxes filled.  Don't jump to conclusions.  Books are best moved in the heavy boxes from the liquor store.  Do I sense a judgmental attitude again?  About 98% of the office is done and finally I moved to boxing up the garage and workshop - the biggest job of all.  I noticed that the last couple of boxes were packed with less care than when all this began.  By the end of the day, boxes were being filled haphazardly with whatever was left on the bench.  Just how human is that?  Parenting came to mind.  The first baby is invariably given a huge amount of attention and care.  First time parents are often seen in a rush, running from one potential disaster to another with the intent of keeping the baby from harm - even if it is nothing more than preventing a speck of dirt from tainting said baby.  By the time the fifth child is born, parents barely take notice that the child is making, and eating, mud pies.  Such is human nature - passion at the beginning, waning care near the end.

It is said that the most effective years for evangelism are within the first three years of accepting Christ.  Many Christians become less and less involved in church activities after their tenth birthday in Christ.  Which is interesting considering Paul's instruction that church elders should not be recent converts.  Choosing to believe Scripture over common wisdom, i wonder if there is yet another explanation.  Is this a human trait in Christianity, or is it a weakness found within US of A Christianity?  Perhaps the following can shed some enlightenment: 


Okay, so the early church needed encouragement.  This means it is a human trait to see our passions wane.  However, these verses also tell us that it is a human trait which can be overcome.

I cannot help but think of Dr. Kenny Beckman.  I've been blessed to be involved with several colleges, and one of those is Boise Bible College.  It is there that I met Kenny.  It seems almost sacrilegious to call a man 40 years my senior by his nickname, but you had to know Kenny to appreciate this.  "Dr. Beckman" would have honored Kenny and his achievements.  However, knowing him as Kenny managed to honor him in a different way.  In the picture below, Dr. Beckman is the diminutive fellow in the center with the smile larger than life.  The three men in the forefront are all former, or present presidents of Boise Bible College.  Kenny has been touching lives there since 1949.  June 23rd of this year marked his 99th birthday.  He was gathered home with his Lord this past Sunday, July 30th.  That smile was always present. 



Dr. Kenneth Beckman was passionate.  He slowed down, but never tired of doing good.  I'm confident he is reaping a crown of righteousness at this moment.  Thanks for the lesson Kenny.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lenten Poem XVIII

Despair

Sleepless