"Perspective"



“Perspective”

February 13, 2014

“O my brethren, my heart is enlarge towards you.
I trust I feel something of that hidden,
but powerful presence of Christ, whilst I am preaching to you.

--George Whitefield

It has been just about 40 years since I first began preaching.  It is true that the first 20 years were spent filling in for the various ministers in my life and preaching for the Gideon’s.  It is also true that things have changed for me since that first nervous endeavor those many years ago.

Preaching is very much about the message, the study (I’ve been reading three books this morning, just in prep for Sunday), the preparation and the delivery.  It is also about the people.  It is humbling to exposit God’s word to and for others.  The serious student of God’s word should quickly conclude that Scripture is meant to be read by a mirror, not through a lens.  In other words, Scripture should bring one to conclude that changes need to be made in oneself, and not to conclude how others should change.  To reverse this process and study Scripture through a lens is the practice of Pharisees.  The very art of preaching places one at the precipice, the fault line between evangelist and Pharisee.  Perspective makes all the difference.

I have become very comfortable preaching without a manuscript much less notes.  This practice was taught to me as much as it was by choice.  I am grateful because it has afforded me a different perspective.  If I read, it is the Scriptures, but exposition without notes allows me to look at people and their faces.  My mind is intent on delivery of the sermon.  Something strange and somewhat mystical happens there on those wonderful Sunday mornings.  In many, many faces God brings to mind their stories.  The stories from the pews are heartwarming, sometimes bitter, but often full of real change, true hope and magnificent testimonies to the transformational power of God.  I wish more people would experience those magic moments.  I wish more people would simply tell their story.  Such an experience, from just the right perspective of knowing that Jesus is still at work in the lives of His people - that is humbling.

 
John 21:25(NIV)
“Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Despair

Lenten Poem XVIII

Sleepless